Thursday 22 August 2013

Rookie Camp & Dante Hannoun 1st rd Pick

I’ve been honoured with having one of the three Victoria Royals Rookie Camp Teams named after me.  Along with Team Martens, there is Team Steingard (club Chaplain), and Team Conrad (club Doctor).

Rookie Camp consists of invited players born in 1997 or 1998.  Round robin format games started today (Thursday) at SOFMC and run through Sunday, August 25th.
Dante Hannoun

I spoke with F Dante Hannoun (pronounced Ha-Noon), the Royals 1st round (11th overall) selection in the 2013 Bantam Draft.  He’s from North Delta, and played at the North Shore Winterclub scoring 63 goals and accumulating 151 points. 

It was a thrill for him to be drafted by the Royals, “I was nervous that day, I didn’t know what to expect.  When they called my name I was very happy…never had a better feeling than that…It’s a gorgeous city, I’d love to live here.”

A big producer offensively and a dynamic player at 5’5 140 lbs.

“I’ve got to be quicker, harder on the puck and stronger on my feet’
, he said when asked about how to overcome the height difference. 

He’s also been known to throw his weight around.  “Yeah I like to hit – it’s great”.

His older brother (18yrs) Demico Hannoun’s WHL Rights are held by the Royals but is committed to Michigan Tech of the NCAA, and was traded from the BCHL Surrey Eagles to Vernon Vipers over the summer.

“He’s a tough guy, that’s were I get my physical edge from.  He’s a great, smart player.”

According to the Times Colonist: ‘The Hannouns and Delta’s Nicolas Petan — the 166-pound and five-foot-nine 2012-13 WHL co-leader in points with the Portland Winterhawks and second-round draft pick this year of the Winnipeg Jets — are first cousins.’

Main Camp will include all returning roster players from the 2012-13 WHL season, invited players born between 1994 and 1996 as well as Draft and Rookie Camp participants progressing through to Main Camp.

On-ice sessions during Main Camp will begin the afternoon of Monday, August 26th and conclude with the Royals’ 2013 Intra-Squad Game on Wednesday, August 28th.

Puck drop for the annual Intra-Squad Game is set for 7:05 p.m. at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre while entrance will be by donation to the GoodLife Fitness Children’s Foundation.

All on-ice sessions during camp are open to the public.

-Marlon Martens
Play By Play voice of the Victoria Royals on The Zone @ 91.3 FM